The CPD course will be delivered on the web using Zoom.
This popular CPD course has been continuously updated to include recent developments in Hong Kong and Macau. The design of large-diameter bored piles appears to be relatively simple as the allowable bearing capacity and resistance to lateral earth pressure are limited by the presumptive values stated in Code of Practice for Foundations and related government publications. However, many common design errors occur from a practical viewpoint, rendering construction very difficult, if not impossible. Moreover, there are also new requirements stipulated in the Code of Practice for Foundations 2017. The design component of the CPD course has thus been substantially updated for Hong Kong practice.
There are many practical problems confronting geotechnical engineers and contractors on site during the construction of large-diameter bored piles. This one-day Web-CPD course is developed to illustrate to engineers who are interested in geotechnical engineering some practical aspects in the design and construction of large-diameter bored piles in Hong Kong including:
· Types and definitions of large-diameter bored piles
· Design philosophy of bored piles
· Design requirements of the Code of Practice for Foundations 2017
· Common design errors from a practical viewpoint
· Detailed construction procedures of large-diameter bored piles
· Construction equipment for large-diameter bored pile
· Integrity testing of large-diameter bored piles
· Remediation of soft toes
· Pitfalls in site supervision for large-diameter bored pile construction
· Full-scale load tests for large-diameter bored piles
· New developments in pile load tests
· New developments in pile types
More than 500 slides on various aspects of large-diameter bored pile construction in Hong Kong and Macau will be shown for illustration and detailed discussion.